Saturday, April 6, 2013

Book Review: “Tafadalo; Come, Sit, Eat, Help Yourself;” By Kelly C. Baas & Leslie Kafoure Baas

Written by generations of loving hands
Compiled by Kelly C. Baas & Leslie Kafoure Baas

The Blogger’s personal note:

 
I still can’t believe that I managed to read a book about cooking from cover to cover. I have read so many books in my life about all kinds of subjects; Cooking surely was not one of them. But the book “Tafadalo” is different and it’s not simply about cooking.


The book is a collection of stories and cooking recipes from four generations of two Saidnayan-American families, The Risk and The Eid, from Indianapolis, IN. Each member of these families across all generations had the chance to contribute to the book and many of them did. 

I particularly enjoyed the stories that were told by the people of Saidnaya. They were not only a depiction of life events that took place during the early years of immigrants’ lives, but also they reminded me of my family in Syria and how similar the Arabic traditions, transcending history and geography.

These stories reminded me also of a time I spent with my late Great Aunt Bahia (Keriaky) Farris in Lowell, MA when I first arrived in this country. One day, she wanted to surprise me and make a dish of “tabbouleh.” You won’t believe my surprise when I saw the tabbouleh. It contained many kinds of vegetables and each piece was bigger than a house. I was shocked.

It took me a while to recognize that it was just the way tabbouleh was made during her time in Saidnaya and it was called “safsouf.” I, on the other hand, have never heard of or seen something like it. The following week, I called my family in Damascus and got the recipe for Tabbouleh and made it for her. That was my first official cooking lesson.

Afterward, I decided to learn how to cook. I asked my Aunt to teach me what she knew and she agreed. She was basically my first teacher. Also, I asked my family in Syria for more recipes. Eventually, I became a “certified chef” according to all my relatives here.

Knowing how my Aunt cooked, I recognized the striking similarity between her way and how the first generation (the immigrants) in this book cooked. It was simply the old Saidnayan way during those days.

Going through the chapters, one by one, I could appreciate the changes that took place in the style of cooking. Assimilation into the American life manifested itself clearly in the kitchen. I noticed that the newest generation’s cooking became almost indistinguishable from the American cooking in general. And because of the intermarriages with other ethnic groups, I could also see the effect other cultures had on cooking in Arabic homes.

I enjoyed reading this book tremendously. I learned a lot about cooking, both the Arabic and the non-Arabic ways. I enjoyed the touching and heart-warming stories. And above all, I enjoyed the wonderful trip down memory lane to a time I miss a lot.

I, full-heartedly, recommend this book for all to read.

Here are few excerpts from the book:

How did this book come to be?

“This book began, as so many things in my life do, from a conversation at a dinner table. Kelly and I sat surrounded by cousins reminiscing over food and the stories of our family tables. Cousin Fran and Cousin Susie pointed out that these would be lost to future generations if someone didn't put them all in writing. They suggested that a family recipe book including these stories would be the perfect project for me. I often find other people find projects for me in spite of my being completely happy without any such project. My initial response was to shrug it off as a good idea that someone else should tackle.

But after they all left, my daughter Kelly said, "They're right, Mom. I'll help you." Anyone who knows me knows there isn't much my daughter could ask or suggest that I would not do. Besides, I knew she was right.

And so we embarked on this rather ambitious project.

We reached out to over 70 cousins and other family members plus their young children and asked them to take their limited discretionary time to go through their family recipes, photos, and stories revolving around food and send them to us. The response was heart warming and this book could never have happened without all of their stories, photos and recipes. Thank you to each of them for sharing these documentations of precious memories.” Leslie Kafoure Baas

About the title

“Tafadalo was often the word used to call our guests to the table. We knew it meant, 'come, sit, eat, help yourself.' Literally it means 'do me the honor'. So this phrase is much more than just 'let's eat'. It is an invitation to sit at our table and share our food, our lives, and our caring. It is an offering to be part of our family, at the very least for the duration of this meal. It is a welcome to eat with us and enjoy our home. It shows respect for those that are invited. It conveys the warmth and abundance that are hinge pins of our family tables.”

Chapter One

The honors go to our first generation ancestors who bravely came to a new and unfamiliar world with hopes of making a better life for their children and generations to come. They brought with them their heritage, their wits, their knowledge, their self-respect, and most of all their love.

We honor them by maintaining this heritage and spreading this love.

Nezley Saba Risk
Frances Risk Eid
Adeebi Kafoure Kafoure

Chapter Two

Maintaining the heritage became the responsibility of the second generation. Their parents had worked hard to raise them as Americans, their pride in adopting this new country apparent. So it was their children, this next generation that had to embrace the culture of the 'old country'. The dancing, the food, and the strong sense of family were integral parts of their daily lives which they would nurture as they did their children, passing down the strength and love from one generation to the next.”

Chapter Three

Living the legacy is the privilege of the next generation. We are the ones who reap the benefits of many, many cousins. Cousins spread around the country and beyond. Distant cousins that feel as close as sisters and brothers. Older cousins, younger cousins. Cousins we see often and ones we see on occasion. We happily claim all of them.

And we keep making the recipes of our parents and grandparents, sometimes changing them for ease or health, sometimes making them as close to the original as possible. How fortunate we are to have a strong heritage and the love of so many to support us.”

Chapter Four

“Carrying on the tradition is the challenge of the next generation. Our families proudly adapted to American life and were still able to carry on our heritage. A loss of culture could be common, as the old country lives mostly in stories shared. Living in a fast paced world that expects even faster results can make it difficult to work old, time-consuming recipes into daily living. Following the example of dedication and love passed down in our families, these are the remarkable relatives who carry on the tradition.”

Chapter Five

“The years to come will hopefully find our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and beyond making and modifying recipes from many years past. As long as they prepare these and other recipes with love, they will be handing down the legacy of food in our family.”

-----------------------

If you are interested, you can buy this book form this website:
(Only one dollar for an eBook and $14.50 for paperback)
http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/kelly-baas-and-leslie-baas/tafadalo/ebook/product-17375175.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment